The Secretary of State oversees an extremely diverse department with responsibilities in virtually every aspect of state government: economic development, finance, transportation, housing, education, culture and quality-of-life issues. In addition to providing direction such as budgetary and policy guidance to the various operating divisions of the Department, he also serves on the Board of Pardons as Secretary and is a member of the Delaware Economic and Financial Advisory Council (DEFAC) and the Cash Management Policy Board. The Secretary of State is traditionally one of the Governor's primary advisors.
The staff in the Office of the Secretary provides financial, personnel, training and legislative services to the Department's divisions. In addition, the office is responsible for approving notary public applications and for providing the administrative functions of the Board of Pardons.
Our mission is to:
- Promote Delaware's economy and generate state revenue;
- Manage and facilitate citizen access to governmental, educational and recreational information;
- Preserve and promote Delaware history, art and culture;
- Assist and provide direct services to Delaware veterans and their families;
- Promote equal opportunity and protection for all persons;
- Provide regulatory, licensing, investigative and consumer services to protect the public's health, safety and economic welfare; and
- Administer the State’s public and merit employment relations laws and government ethics laws.
If you have any questions or comments, please contact any of the following individuals using the Department of State's Contact Form. Our staff is at your service, and we welcome your feedback.
Jeffrey W. Bullock, Secretary of State
Rick Geisenberger, Chief Deputy Secretary of State
Tim Ferrier, Chief of Administration